Friday, November 28, 2008

Epiphany

It happened to me when I was in iitm for a week. Now, thats what i call a huge campus, which is as beautiful as it is massive. And my navigational skills suck ! ( This is one of the rare things i actually admit , I am bad at , so it can deciphered how bad I must be ).
So I wanted to take a walk to this place called Gurunath stores. I remembered someone had told me to go in the direction opposite to what I take when i go to Computer science block ( Or was it the sharavati hostel ? ) and walk until i see a small ICICI placard, and walk left from that. So I start walking left from Building Science block and kept walking for a long distance, waiting to spot that ICICI placard. It was a long time before i realised that the turns didnt seem familiar, hence i should ask someone for directions. A gentleman gave me a very warm ( sympathetic) smile and told me wait at a spot for the bus which would take me there. I bravely assured him that i wanted to walk and hence be kind enough to give the directions. So I walk beside the hockey-football grounds, electrical engineering dept, and take a right, when i suddenly spot that damn ICICI placard !
I "globally localized " and shifted the whole map in my mind according to my new position. And i did it as an impulse. That is when it struck me ! So this was what MK ( my robotics prof ) kept drawling on in the Mobile Robotics classes !
I have drawn analogies before, but it was never this striking. And the fact that i did it almost as an impulse, made me started thinking how someone would have bumped across the concept of "localization" and decided to use it for robotics !
After learning robotics for 2 years, "localization" is definitely a concept/term would take a permanent place in my dictionary/vocabulary.
With my perfect knowledge about the world, I proudly made my way back towards the sharavati hostel.

6 comments:

Juggernaut said...

Lol....now that you managed to find your way, may be you should register for DARPA grand challenge ;-)

I've worked on monte-carlo localization, but only now I hear of monte-carlo jyotikalization

lol.

Jyotika said...

@Juggernaut:
Lol, DARPA challenge eh ? I think i can grab that lucridous prize money, the only thing i need is extra powerful batteries , to overrun those vehicles on foot ! I am well tuned on the algorithm side ;)

Monte carlo eh ? Nice.

Sandeep said...

Ah, IIT-M. That place is big enough sink an entire aircraft carrier. Should always stick with a IITian when in IIT-M.

By the way, just saw your comment. Thanks for linking me.

Jyotika said...

@DopedMonk:
I am waiting for your comic to resume :).

Sandeep said...

@Jyotika: Its back up. But you should keep in mind, you are the only female reader of the comic. Even my girlfriend has refused to read it. Congratulations!

Jyotika said...

@DopedMonk: :)